Bonnie Blue in Wales

The aspects of things that are most important for us are hidden because of their simplicity and familiarity. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

UV-A

Unsolicited Verbal Assault

But we'll get to that later.

Having now showered and recovered (with milk and biscuits) from the long train ride back home so foolishly anticipated by me earlier today, must catch self up (so will have credible and interesting diary entry to tell people when I am old).

SATURDAY
We learned a lesson. The lesson being: "If there is more than one train at the platform, it is probably the train at the front in the logical direction one will be travelling that one should notice first."
Did herself follow this wisdom?
No.
Was herself aware of her surroundings?
No.
Looked at the little train schedule board, read 'Expected 6 mins.', sat on a bench and rested from my walk (at 8.00 a.m.) and tried to get on the last train (i.e., wrong train) that pulled up to the platform just in time for my train to leave. So, as my train was pulling out, am running down platform with luggage clumsily flopping along on its wheels behind me, as in a slow motion film moment where the "NOOOOOOooooooo!" track is slowed down and becomes very much a bass voice. Except my voice was very tiny and whimpery and high-pitched.
The nice train man offered me tea, which I foolishly declined, as I sat on the opposing platform freezing myself in punishment for another hour until next option arrived (which nice train man had kindly instructed me to take).

This took me to the station at Llanelli, whereupon I attempted to read Sociolinguistics while surrounded by the most intriguing menagerie of randomness. It was rather challenging. Also, Saturday was the first game of Six Nations Rugby games and there was quite a lot of red being sported. As an outsider, my sweater was maroon.

Three and a half hours later, caught the train to Llandeilo to see Ms. Gatten. Arriva Trains Wales needs to wash their windows. Sadly, I was not able to photograph the sheep with a magpie resting on his (or her) back. This struck me as hysterically funny.

It was actually a good thing that I missed my train in the larger world-view: a) it was entirely TOO cold to be tromping 4 miles to a castle; b) would not have gotten to watch rugby with nice aide from the nursing home and his wife at the Torbay Pub in Ffairfach; and c) would not have gotten a ride from same to bed and breakfast, thereby reducing another 4 mile walk to 0!

Battlefield Britain is an excellent show.

SUNDAY
Nice B&B people kindly gave me a ride to the station. Train was late and met the loveliest couple from Cardiganshire, West Wales. When train finally arrived, the wife and I got on to the melodious sounds of.... a jazz band of some sort that was playing on the train. Playing on the train! As for me, I turned right and headed into the next car and Jackie followed me. So we rode through the beautiful Brecon Mountains and had the lovliest conversation and I now have hints regarding good towns to visit on that line and an invitation to Cardiganshire!

Made it to York and trundled along to the Old Grey Mare. What more could one want than Indian food, pub and lodging all in one place? And excessively reasonable rates. Seriously. Yes, it is clean and en-suite! Sadly, they only had room for me for one night, so on...

MONDAY
gathered self and went to Harrogate, where had a school appointment (on the train-ride there, passed the Yorkshire Tea factory -- so exciting!). And, again, this turned out for the best, since found reasonable place to stay on advice of kind taxi man and had time to explore Harrogate just a little. Will have to go back. Found yarn shoppe (danger!). Ate Chinese at a place called the Cambridge Cafe (hee hee), on advice from the yarn shoppe lady and it was excellent. Went to Evening Prayer at St. Peter's to atone for sin of yarn hoarding.

TUESDAY
Took slight detour backwards to Knaresborough, which is between York and Harrogate. Perched on a bluff over the River Nidd, it is definitely a place I will try to visit again when am not lugging clackity-clackity in conspicuous manner through streets. There are an awful lot of dog-lovers in Knaresborough. Dogs in this country are so well-behaved. Perhaps it is their British upbringing, but I am so impressed with unannoying and civilized canine manners. :)

After being buffetted violently by wind on top of castle hill (well, had to take 27 pictures, didn't I? One would think one would give up trying to curl hair if one is just going to go and stand in middle of gale, but...), got train to Leeds to Bradford. Exited train station wrong way and walked about a mile around the station and construction zone to find food and then back, across street this time, to station for taxi to another school appointment.

High blood pressure from taxi ride back to station (with same nice taxi driver, who lectured me on Western civilization and how much he dislikes life here. But he really was nice.) and arrived just as train pulling up to platform. Relax. At next change, Preston, train 30 minutes late, making me miss one connection to Colwyn Bay and then was totally panicking about missing next train and thought I had, when I exited the slowest train in the world in Warrington Bank Quay, in utter despair. So as I hauled suitcase down flight of stairs, heard something crackling on the speakers about "...next train... blah, blah, blah... Colwyn Bay .... aaaand Llandudno". At which point, suitcase, carry-bag and self go tearing down pedestrian subway to other two platforms (because it can't be where my train had just arrived), sprint up stairs in absurd fashion to find no train. Look at board. Train is scheduled to arrive in less than 1 minute at the platform across from where my train just came in. Spastic procedure in reverse. And success! Second hypertensive episode took considerable time to recover. Foolishness.

Upon debarking (that word makes me laugh) and exiting station, was literally BLOWN along with luggage across parking lot to taxi stand. No, was not walking to hotel in that in the dark.

TODAY
Perfectly beautiful weather. The whole range. Including a small, yet impressive hail storm. Sunny and bright most of the day. Visited my favorite school so far -- Rydal Penrhos (looks a little like Hogwarts inside the grounds).

Got mixed up between Dingle Hill and The Dingle on way to beach. And who wouldn't? However, as may be evident, Dingle Hill leads to Dinglewood (with lovely quiet path and tragically garbage-filled stream), ending at small group of homes (one is available, pictured, if anyone should want to purchase it and have me as caretaker. has a view of beach through highway bridge pillars.)

Walked down beach and around town until my train. My peaceful ride, planned to be intelligently spent reading. Instead, this is what happened:

Had time to get self and belongings stowed, got out book, was startled by conductor who sneaked up on me before booming "Tickets, please!" and then apologising after my jump, turned cell volume down so as to be courteous to others, gazed longingly out at the sea view rushing past my window, when random guy approaches and rubs every inch of table except for that containing my book and phone before settling himself diagonally across table from me. He then opened 'conversation' with a note on how clean the table was. Mmmm. Look out window.

Alas, that doesn't work.

He then proceeded to ignore my body language in which am attempting to melt through the back of my seat into the two-seat section; this is generally done by extreme psychic power and with an incomplete crossing of the arms (so as not to appear dreadfully shrewish and rude, although internally feeling extremely shrewish and rude). After my negative answer to inquiry if am from Wales and subsequently finding out am from America, situation only exacerbated. (NOTE: this is not a frightening person, just someone a few crayons short of a box -- to avoid anyone getting into a tizzy of worry about this. Mama.)

He told me that I really needed to get off train at Chester and get on another train, despite repeated assurances that I knew which train was needed and since the train we were on was headed to Cardiff, that would probably be fine. Not believing me, he proceeds to bellow at any passenger unfortunate enough to get within three feet of him in inquiry on my behalf. This was annoying. We repeated this conversation about my need to change trains about every 14 minutes for an hour.

In addition to this scinitillating topic, he attempted to continue the conversation without much help from me (mmmhhhm). Melting technique had completely failed by this point and so became inwardly despondent and prayed would get to Chester in record time never seen before by an Arriva Train. Instead, there was trouble on the line, so we got to sit next to Ye Olde Chemicale Plante for a while.

As he spoke Scouse (Liverpuddlian accent), much of thrilling monologue was lost on me -- similar to 'mimble-wimble' style of speech which has already discussed with some of you. He seemed to be unable to remember that I have not been to the Continent and so proceeded to inquire one by one if I had been to various cities there and elsewhere (Copenhagen, Berlin, Munich, Dublin, Warsaw, Blackpool, etc.). (mmm-mm). And then kindly gave me instructions on which trains to take when visiting there. Wherever 'there' is.

Was told of manifold wonders and marvels that are Disney World, Epcot, Universal Studios, Sea World, Busch Gardens, Niagara Falls, the whole of Canada. (thank you).
I now know that one should take the #250 bus from Piccadilly Circus in Manchester to somewhere.
When am in Poland, will need to take a train from Krakow to somewhere else that does not have the same name in English and Polish.
London is a nice place.

Also covered were: Vancouver, Holland, The Taliban, Lake Louise, the train change at Chester, bin Laden, the Northern Alliance, France, chemical plants, the fact that he "doesn't like the drink" and the Chinese flag.

Thank Gawd, he debarked at Chester... after bellowing inquiry at the platform attendant and then bellowing in to reassure me that that train would be going to Cardiff. Thank yeeewww!

2 Comments:

At Thursday, February 09, 2006 2:26:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best blog entry ever! You are TOO funny and TOO entertaining. I found myself reading the whole of it in an English accent in my head...as I did Bridget Jones' Diary.

Miss you!!!!!!! And so happy that you're trotting around the UK and seeing lovely places.

I might suggest a backpack next time you travel though Miss B! Sounds like you had a wretched time lugging that suitcase around!

 
At Thursday, February 09, 2006 2:23:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there!! It's Laura from the knitting group. We miss you so much. I noticed that you have failed to describe in detail the yarn you are purchasing and hording. Details woman, details.

Sounds like you had a wonderful time even with mimble wimble man. I can't wait to see all the pictures.

TTFN

 

Post a Comment

<< Home