Bonnie Blue in Wales

The aspects of things that are most important for us are hidden because of their simplicity and familiarity. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Kobenhavn

It is super-fabulous to find a book of Colinette knitting patterns awaiting one upon arrival home from a trip. Esp. when one has some yarn from said trip! (see below for thrilling details.)

Now, Paul. And Lisa. Don't be ridiculous. Of course, I have not disappeared due to the fading of the last freckle. (And, I did NOT eat an entire jar of marshmallow fluff. yeeuuuggg.) Can't a person go toodling off to find some interesting cemetaries? I miiiiiiiiissssss you all, too! (sort of) (mostly)
"Well, it had been 987 years in outer space time when I got back, Couldn't seem to find any of my friends to tell all of my interesting stories to..."

Yes, it is I, Mo-Dean.


Anyhoo, made my first venture out of the UK this weekend! They do not serve green beverages in Denmark even if it is an Irish saint's day. Alas, and alack. But their beverages are tasty nonetheless.

After many months of 'fruitless' searching, the Cardiff Elf reappeared for St. Patrick's Day in apparent jubilation for my having turned in two dissertation proposals AND my paper one whole day early! Then...

Journey began with two cancelled trains from Cardiff Central (which put me in a lovely calm and collected mood; this after I had decided to forego the already purchased bus ticket out of concern for making my plane from Stansted, because the train would be quicker and more dependable.). Train was delayed in Reading for a while while police apprehended some bothersome person from another carriage. By this point, was in state of consternation. But fortune smiled upon me (and common sense) and even my bamboo knitting needles made it through security in plenty of time for me to eat the dullest sandwich ever made by Pret a Manger (generally, i like their food, especially those shortbread/caramel/chocolate manna from heaven. quite nutritious.). One would not believe -- well, perhaps they would -- how many Irish folk were flying to Dublin on St. Patrick's Day....

On the flight, I saw for the first time a lighthouse doing it's thing over the water (it was nighttime). Very cool.

There was snow in Sweden when we landed. At first, I had thought it was water with small patches of ground that must be islands, but, no. It was snow! The only sign in Swedish that I remember upon leaving the airport said "Utfart". Snow was not so plentiful in Copenhagen, but it was still rawther chilly when Karsten and Jeppe met me at 23.45. (I really liked the cold as it was exotic, but think that it made my eyes puffy. Or that could have been the fact that packing light, neglected to bring eyedrops.)

Copenhagen is a really cool city -- definitely the most bicycle-friendly place have experienced thusfar. Everyone rides bikes. It is very tidy-looking because the skyline is low; the buildings just aren't very tall. Havn means 'harbour'. Karsten has an excellent apartment, which I thought was all the more fabulous as it is right down the street from the largest cemetary in the city. The three of us walked around and looked at tourist stuff... and there are buses that are boats! Visited Christiania -- which was rather like being in a movie, esp. when the police came on their inspection rounds through the coffee shop.

Yesterday, toodled around by myself. Got self lost (which is what I like most, because then can use cognitive puzzle solving skills to locate self again. Hopefully in three dimensions.). Located THREE yarn shops! And YES.... of course I did. The most disconcerting thing was absolute cluelessness as to what 90% of signs said. So for lunch, I got a 'tunsalat' on a bagel because was fairly confident in that :)

Naturally, went to at least one church briefly... I love the light beam shining. But apparently it will have to be viewed on flickr as it appears the photo limit has been reached on this entry... blast! This is from Frederiks Kirke -- the foundation stone was laid by King Frederik V in 1749, but soon the structure was abandoned for 100 years. Fortunately, sun had come out and was shining beautifully through the clerestory.

Definitely not enough time, since did not make it to Amalienborg Castle, Den lille Havfrue, the Round Tower or the National Museum.

Tired now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home