Bonnie Blue in Wales

The aspects of things that are most important for us are hidden because of their simplicity and familiarity. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

Saturday, April 29, 2006

Sesame paste from Kuwait!

This is some of the most heavenly food product have ever eaten! Monirah brought us pressies from Kuwait, in case this was not clear and it was thought possible that have managed to travel to Kuwait in the last week or so. This is my attempt to (without reading the manual) use the timer on my camera for the first time. It is fuzzy, but I have not time nor patience nor the vanity to try for the perfect picture. Also have perfume, (part of) a package of lovely pistachio pastries, and a Cross pen with my name on it! Monirah is precious.

Yesterday, had fortunate experience of hearing lecture by Deborah Cameron, Rupert Murdoch Chair in Linguistics at Oxford; obviously a very prominent linguist. Her talk covered the questionability of claims of female superiority in linguistic areas (and conversely, male superiority in technical spacial). Quite interesting arguments to bring up in casual conversation. Since I enjoy confrontation so :)

In Lexis today, was selected to be Editor in charge of coordinating development of a lexicographical (pompous word for dictionary) entry for the word field by the class. This was not an easy thing to do. The Oxford English Dictionary for learners has 7 senses of the word; and that is just the noun form.

Tonight's Llandaff Rotary Inner Wheel (ladies' auxiliary of Rotary) Quiz was quite successful and gerber daisy door prize is now residing in my cheerful window. It is yellow. It's name is Mildred. There is no particular reason for this. I was asked to repeat the word gerber since my pronunciation is so amusing :) And, yes, I do know it is Gerbera. Our team came in third. The word hanepoot is the name of a type of grape. Emetophobia is a fear of vomiting. And the Queen gives special coins out on Maundy Thursday, the face value of the coins being equal to her age. German, Austrian and Italian fans will be able to watch the FA Cup on mobile phones this year.

Note to Auntie Karen: Should ought to have thoroughly read collective noun book (which is now in storage) as part of quiz was 15 collectives. None of my favourites were on it (such as 'pod of whales' or 'murder of crows'). So I did the anagrams instead.

Relative to my pronunciation, it has recently become part of local amusement to take note of my vocalisation of 'Bye!' Apparently, I occasionally sound like a sheep to those unfamiliar with the Ark-La-Tex accent. haha.

Found out today that sweet Mrs. Gatten (Mrs. Hardin's sister) had a stroke last week and has died in Llandeilo. Her birthday was to be on May 22nd :(

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home