Bonnie Blue in Wales

The aspects of things that are most important for us are hidden because of their simplicity and familiarity. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

Sunday, November 13, 2005

Lemony Snicket

Have I mentioned before how absolutely marvelous A Series of Unfortunate Events is? Possibly you may have heard me mutter something about it under my breath.... I don't often repeat myself. (NO laughing aloud)

Really, I think it is some of the cleverest children's literature and think all of my friends need to a) listen to the books themselves (the ones read by Tim Curry are best) and b) [well, the ones with children's minds to mold!] must read them aloud or play them so that their offspring may acquire skill in using words like "somniferous" in everyday speech acts.

It is my opinion that these books will not overwhelm intrinsic cognitive load, because the new material is presented in a normalized manner that allows for contextualization. As well, new words are defined in a subtle and uncondescending way and I really like that. Down-talking to children annoys everyone. Right? Right. Can anyone tell I have been doing my homework?

Okay, so right now, Maurizio and Fabiana and I are Skype-ing about some wireless card (?) and our internet connection (what? ?). This is quite amusing because they are downstairs in the living room and I am upstairs in my room -- hee hee. Now they are Skyphoning, but it is too far to go get my microphone headset off of my desk.... lazy Bruner.

Go and read or listen to books on tape (or CD, of course. it's JUST a term.)!!!!!!! Your compliance will be appreciated.

Exit soap-box Left.
Thank you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home