Bonnie Blue in Wales

The aspects of things that are most important for us are hidden because of their simplicity and familiarity. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Names

From one of my Korean students, I have learnt that people BUY names for their children... has this been mentioned before in this forum? Anyhoo, I could sooooooo do that. Anyone who has observed the cat naming process that happens when the little gerbil gets on his wheel in my mind will possibly be alarmed by this, but a group friend-and-family hypnosis session should prevent this from having a negative impact on my future entrepreneurial activity.

Well, today, my student told me that they are having a 100-day party for his son on Monday night! It is traditional to have a big party when the baby reaches this milestone. Isn't that interesting?

I thought you would think so. Here are some more interesting facts about birthday celebration across history and cultures.

Additionally, has it also been mentioned that in Columbia, your name serves as a sort of family tree? People keep the maternal and paternal names almost in perpetuity (within the limits of memory of course), so Diana's name is absolutely huge! And it would keep going if she remembered more, actually. This is pretty cool I think to keep in mind the people in your history instead of just being your own little spontaneously created planet.

Because, as James the Papa always said, 'The earth doesn't revolve around you, you know.' This was really upsetting at the moment, but then I sang All I Want for Christmas is my Two Front Teeth and everything was better.

*******
Tonight, E and I are invited to dinner with my Rotarian, Graham, his wife Jane and James (his son) and Claire (his girlfriend)! At The Balti Empire (which just happens to be one of our favorite curry houses in Cardiff)! (a future rant in this space will be on the lack of a suitable English word synonymous with boyfriend/girlfriend that does not bring up images of middle school or a business enterprise... or just simple daftness, as in 'my special friend' or 'my significant other'. Blech! You know, I am leaning more and more towards the African-American morpheme, 'my boo'. Hmm. Something to consider.)

Perhaps we should have a pepper-eating contest as entertainment.
Maybe I could take wagers and make a little extra cashola.

1 Comments:

At Thursday, November 30, 2006 6:27:00 PM, Blogger Kate said...

I prefer the Welsh word, "cariad" which is also the verb "to love". (So, its sort of like quaintly saying, "My love"...although, in order to add the "my" you'd want to say nghariad i. But, that's another story.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home