Bonnie Blue in Wales

The aspects of things that are most important for us are hidden because of their simplicity and familiarity. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

Monday, October 17, 2005

sidney, my welsh pony

For everyone's general information bank, it has come to my attention that my first horse was a Welsh pony named Sidney. It is obvious that moving to Wales was fated from my earliest history. (just thought you should all know this.)

The sneaky signal has disappeared again -- boo. But am early for class and am playing on lab computer.

Yesterday, Llandaff Rotary had a charity walk and I valiantly participated, adding my cough to the melodious sounds of the birds along the Taff River as we walked through Bute Park. One point of cultural difference, however: when one participates in any sort of walking event at home, one would think to wear comfortable, excerise type gear, right? T-shirts (long or short sleeve, or both layered), walking trousers (you DON'T say "pants" here -- it is not nice), etc. So thinking I was properly fit-looking, I toodle off to find everyone dressed as if for a J.Crew photoshoot! Dear, dear, I do seem to guess wrong here... but bravely I forged on walking with Bagel, the Jewish miniature dachsund, and her friend, Polly (both pictured to R, walking along the Taff River trail) and thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Until Graham and Jane and James took me to the Manor Park Hotel for lunch....with me in my Walking Gear. And everyone else in their Sunday best in the restaurant. Can we get any more Bridget Jones than this? (There is absolutely NO reason for anyone to respond to this question -- it is merely intended as a rhetorical device.)

Class begins. Ta!

2 Comments:

At Wednesday, October 19, 2005 4:51:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was in London once I meandered out for a day of site-seeing. It was hot out so I proceeded to wear my Teva sandles and shorts. I visited the National Gallery and after looking at about 2,000 paintings, I figured it was time for lunch...so I went to the museum resturant. Big faux pas, apparently. I was all of the sudden keenly aware of how much of a tourist I was. People in the UK just don't wear sandles and shorts, I guess. I could feel people staring at me like I was a big, dumb American idiot. Even on the tube I felt naked in my shorts.

 
At Wednesday, October 19, 2005 5:11:00 PM, Blogger Bonnie Blue in Wales said...

No, the thing is, if they do wear shorts, they also wear socks and lace-up shoes..... :) You big American silly person!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home