Bonnie Blue in Wales

The aspects of things that are most important for us are hidden because of their simplicity and familiarity. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Llandaff Rotary

Note of primary interest: today is Oma's birthday and she needs to be well-wished by as many people as possible :) She was born in 1919, so you can figure out the math and be amazed that she goes to water aerobics, visits the sick and will kick your a.....(well, your behind) walking.

So tonight I attended my second Rotary meeting with Llandaff Rotary Club with Graham, my counselor and had a lovely time. Although the speaker did not show, so it was all conversation and chit chat instead of learning about Lord Nelson or something. Oh, and the part where I spilled boiling soup on my lap was just hilarious. Then, they asked me to get up and give a report about the LINK Weekend in Derby (self-conscious? me?). You see, this is all a result of "Anne" meaning "grace" and the fact that my neurological system seems to take great pleasure in causing as much of the opposite as possible. Skin on my wrist still stings like the devil, but brave and strong, and all that rot!

And I JUST DROVE A CAR ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE OF THE ROAD!!!!!! And IT IS NIGHTTIME!!!!! and nothing was hit or bumped or otherwise disturbed (except perhaps Graham who was a bit alarmed at the speed with which we went around the roundabouts, so he decided that that was enough practice for one evening about halfway home :) ).

Really need to start carrying around little reporter's notebook so as to record items of interest as they are being discussed since they evaporate quickly as such a terrible lot of new things are being incessantly pummelled at my brain. Tonight, did talk about Welsh food and my new thing to try is laverbread -- this is a mixture of boiled seaweed and oats that I think is fried up kind of like hot-water cornbread. Other items of Welsh culinary repertoire: Cockles (little tiny mussels), cawl (a stew-ish sort of dish with lamb, leek, swede and potato), faggots (spicy meatballs), and rarebit (this sounds like some sort of uncooked rabbit to me, but is relatively harmless since it is simply cheese on toast). Here is a good list of some recipes should anyone feel adventurous: http://www.grossi.co.uk/wales/recipe.htm

And now for something completely different. This afternoon, I trimmed about 1 1/2 inches off my hair and think it looks pretty good. It actually kept curl this evening. mostly. as much as my hair is able.

Along the Monty Python strain, I would also like to take this opportunity to mention the fact that the Post Office down the road from me has a huge live parrot who sits behind the glass with the clerks. It is a lovely and personable bird and does not appear to be pining for the fjords.

Sorry, no pictures tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home