Bonnie Blue in Wales

The aspects of things that are most important for us are hidden because of their simplicity and familiarity. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

P.T.L., I beLIEVE!

That I have a cousin once removed or whatever. Was completely starting to doubt this tiny person's existence since no images had been seen (and we all know seeing is...). Have been waiting three weeks for pictures of La Infanta. But Oma sent me a letter and a darling picture of herself and her namesake (Ella Ruth), and I got it today! So she is acceptable and she is absolutely gorgeous. She looks like a Jones :)

Tonight, Hiroko and I entertained (and were hosted by) the Port Talbot Rotary Club for their Foundation Night. Such a lovely time and fun Rotarians :) Was called a "coon-ass" by a Welsh man who used to work in Texas and who also knows some Rotarians from Shreveport (!random!) and who told me lots of stories in a Southern accent (it was really a good accent -- heehee). He and his wife have invited me to visit them for a weekend and go horse-back riding!

Port Talbot is the hometown of both Richard Burton and Anthony Hopkins and Sir Anthony is actually an honorary member of the club. It is a steel town and was a large steel shipping port in the past (not sure if it still is). The first million pound cheque was written at the port in Port Talbot. It is about 45 minutes from my house to the West and is across the bay this side of Swansea. Rotary Club meets in a hotel on the beachfront. I was not able to escape and frolic on the beach, which we all know would have happened if possible.

Hey, guess what I found (no links to Port Talbot itself, but...): Neath Port Talbot Badger Group!

Am terribly disappointed to have totally missed the fact that the Queen was in town last night. Must really be more aware of my surroundings. Not that I would have SEEN her or anything, of course. My invitation to the concert was apparently lost in the post....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home