Bonnie Blue in Wales

The aspects of things that are most important for us are hidden because of their simplicity and familiarity. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Dishonesty and Sleet

It is slightly dishonest to be writing on here when BonnieBlue is actually in the 'Port of the Shreve (Shreveport -- it is a little linguistic joke that only really silly people get).

Going through techological withdrawal without 24-7 wireless access. But have found a coffee shoppe called Moxie Java in Bossier City which has saved my life and allows me to drink lovely chai latte and communicate with you, my Trolley People.

The pace has been manic, yet absol. not as horribly stressful as anticipated. How am I remaining calm? It has to do with my gorgeous Flee and my fabulous parents and my cute little Oma, I think :)

So the manic part started when the flight left Gatwick an hour late on Friday last. Am assuming this had something to do with wind. Then, the flight went North, which I do not recall as the route from trips before, but then again, my memory is not exactly commendable in some instances. So, we flew over western Scotland and then Iceland and Greenland, which was absolutley amazing and I cannot imagine people living there. One note: from the air, you can see the crinkles of the ocean that are the waves but they do not appear to move at all -- isn't that bizarre? It looks like a static picture -- v. interesante.

Then, once we got over the edges of northern Canada, the ocean was completely frozen (although this might have been bays instead of ocean) and you could see crevasses and fissures in the ice. But it looked like the amazing images in Planet Earth that E and I have been watching the last few weeks. Also v. cool, and staring out the window distracted me from my diligently mad knitting. I am obsessed with staring out windows when travelling; there was, however, NO licking of the window.

So, with the late start and heavy headwinds, the flight arrived into DFW 1:15 late and by the time I debarked (that word makes me laugh), there were approx. 45 minutes for me to make my connection. Upon entry in the immigration barn -- I mean, arrivals hall -- our flight joined about 3,000 other people trying to get through immigration. Admittedly, they did herd us through fairly quickly and on into the luggage hall, where the plan was intended that one collected one's luggage, joined a queue of 2,500 people trying to go through a security checkpoint, and then either departed the building or rechecked one's bags for connecting flights. My second bag came toodling down the carousel at 4.30, giving me 10 minutes until my connection. It might also be amusing to note that myself and 150 pounds of luggage was in Terminal D and my connection was in Terminal B. It did not amuse me. Nor did the fact that there was no way to let my collectors know that they would not be seeing me at the time advised.

Even though my 4.40 flight was delayed until 5.00, there was no way for me to make it, so luggage and self got new travel plans from the nice people. And THEN I had to go through a second entry checkpoint to go BACK into the secure parallel universe that is associated with flight travel. WHY in God's name someone thought it was necessary to make this extra step out-and-in for people continuing to fly elsewhere, I do not know. Stripped to sock feet yet again, but the nice lady told me I had a lovely smile and then I took off at high speed to get to my 6.15 flight. Then my eyes rested for 15 minutes. Then the flight was delayed to 6.30. Then to 6.55. Then 7.05. Then 7.15. Then we moved from gate B34 to B39. Then the flight was delayed to 7.35. Then to 7.55. Then to 8.05... you get the picture. At 8.28, the Lafayette flight was announced for boarding and the people clapped and whooped! hahahaha! Twenty minutes later, our flight was moved to gate B34 (this may sound familar) and then we were threatened that we would not be allowed to board until 3 volunteers were found to go on the next flight. When the puddle jumper finally took off, there was an extra seat next to me and my head was magnetically drawn to it and I drooled all the way to the Shreveport Metropolitan Airport...

oops -- must go now. The mama has come to collect me so's we can get home before the sleet and snow starts sticking on the ground. Will continue at my next computer fix session...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home